Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Shelf Life of Hair Color -

and other truths in the processgetty 76767

With the recent review of a few heartfelt email questions I thought I would start out with a POST on with something mellow -- yet imperative - SHELF LIFE and HAIR COLOR.

Shelf life is that length of time that food, medicine and other perishable items are given before they are considered unsuitable for sale or consumption. Shelf life is the time that products can be stored, during which the defined quality of a specified proportion of the goods remains acceptable under expected (or specified) conditions of distribution & storage. "WHEW!!

Just like with every other food and product you deal with during the course of a normal day, there is a shelf life of hair color and cosmetics. How long should you keep that blue mascara from high school you can't buy anymore? I know I have at least a half tube of a golden brown that if I throw in some auburn ought to cancel the yellow out . . . right?          Sound Familiar?        It should these are right out of some of YOUR emails { the names have been changed to protect the innocent}

Here is a very short general guideline for your cosmetics, because I feel so strong about this I'm even willing to roam over into the category of cosmetics for you (HAIR is big enough for me to cover without adding the never ending category of Cos. !)

First off, if it smells, stinks, has a distinct odor that should not be, throw it away! I am amazed at how long women will keep cosmetics that have a bad odor, look like its disintegrating or logically know it should be in the trash. Do yourself a favor and trash it.  Another good rule of thumb, if you can't remember when you purchased it, trash it. Makeup should not stir up memories from ten years ago, if your makeup bag does, throw it out. I think when you purchase cosmetics you should mark it down on your calendar. 6 months is all I would keep mascara, if you aren't using it up in 6 months, you aren't using it and quit buying it maybe. Personally I permanently TINT my eyelashes - with albino eyelashes - you HAVE to.

Now as far as the SHELF LIFE of your hair color, the more "organic" or "natural" the product . . . the more susceptible it will be to "going bad". That IS  one of the many down side's to the whole 'la-la' GREEN world. So one of the best tools to combat this - - - you already own, that I doubt you ever use <> is right there in your home and at your disposal . Your refrigerator. Store many of your cosmetics there if you are in need of becoming more thrifty, green and to be perfectly frank > smart. Yep its a pain to go back and forth, buy a tricky cool tray of some sort - one for cosmetics, one for hair color, even putting your teeth bleaching kits in there will preserve them the their fullest. If you are going to spend the CASH, get your money's worth. 

When I give examples like this remember I am always talking about the professional Hair Color we sell at Killerstrands (Killerstrands@gmail.com) as our reference point. I have been using it for 17 years and have that 10,000 HEADS of experience to go off of that I  feel safe and secure quoting to you, you will have to make adjustments with your own colors and brands. If you have any specific questions, remember the COMMENTS section at the bottom of this and every POST is still the FASTEST way to get an answer from ME!

RENBOW's Colorissimo - their permanent hair color line has a natural BEESWAX base - so of course this is the most susceptible line to "going bad" that I use. Although I can only remember a couple times it happened, I caught it and never saw what would've occurred. They quote many times over and over in their literature and even ON THE TUBE (which not one other company will do) as soon as the tub is opened you have 3 months to use the color safely. Its too bad, but companies do not use Shelf Life's on their products, they feel it scares customers off. I hear many of you quoting how you have old tubes of color sitting around that you feel you might as well "use up" . . . that gives me the shivers. You don't just use hair color sitting around -- UP.  All of you new Crib Colorists are saving so much money by learning and doing this on your own -  PLEASE PLEASE use the proper colors we have determined will be correct for you.  Once you get past that initial consultation with me about your hair color formulation - buy 6 months worth of color and relax  - -  you only have to solve the hair color questions for your own hair ( and if you have a Crib Colorist partner - theirs) .

With Wella color I give the tubes 6 months and then toss them as I do with all other brands, its just not worth the Oxidation worries so I would hope that all of you will tackle your hair color drawers and cabinets if you do have them and give them a good cleaning out.

Is your hair worth it?               YES.

How much time and effort do we all put into our hair?  A LOT

We are beginning a hair health month here at Killerstrands this week, where we will be reviewing the 10,000 HEADS Protocol in depth. I've never done this but always wanted to.  Even though we are off on Hair health for a while if you have any questions or interest in formulating your own Hair Color, just shoot me an email and I will direct you to the proper area for your answers    Killerstrands@gmail.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment