Thursday, February 21, 2008

Toner or Tone Him; Either Way its a Kick Ass Solution, For A Way Too Common Hair Problem

Toners are a long time celebrity secret,

not the colored conditioners they try to sell you

As I wrote this I realized that I keep forgetting to point out the celebrity WHO-HA that I have been involved with. I leave myself notes to use celeb photos...and forget as well ....why? I don't like people to set unexpected & unrealistic goals, and that happens with the celebrity race. I dislike using them as a reference, think society has gotten all out of whack about them and gone apeshit crazy over the bizarre worship. Some of my best friends have been in the genre and , Holy Batshit - Batman . .they're as nutty as the rest of us.








RENCOLOR TONERS: Notice the
Coral Rose and the Petal Rose !
they are gorgeous!


I have lived and worked in that business for close to 30 years, in 2 completely different aspects, but still. I have 2 daughters, both successful, one a film Producer http://imdb.com/name/nm1362747/ at the age of 26; has produced 4 studio Feature Films and is the youngest member of the Producers Guild of America. The other a photographer, a very successful independent photographer http://www.cheyenneellis.com/ shoots a lot of celebrities and is a master of that program you've all heard of: Photo Shop. Through all of that you cannot believe the amount of hair facades & tricks I have been around, seen and invented.

All of them .

I know everyone is interested in celebrity "everything", I am just trying to point out that most of what I say comes from that world, I just neglect to point it out most of the time - I hope you will remember that. Toners are a total celebrity luxury, and they really don't need to be. Applying a toner is so simple and so easy. . . anyone can do it, they really can.



TONER: A pastel color to be used after lightening

Toners are semi permanent, demi permanent, and permanent hair color products that are used primarily on lightened(pre-lightened) hair to achieve pale and delicate colors. They are applied to the lightest degree of contributing pigment that remains after the de-colorizing process. You may hear the term "double-process" application in association with a Toner. That means the first process is the application of the lightener; the second process is the application of the toner.

I try to explain it to newbie's in the chair using the reference to a "Nylon" on a leg. The leg is one color(white) and if you want it to look tan> you don't buy brown tights...you buy a "tan" colored nylon, opaque - sheer nylons. That is what a Toner is.... Opaque-sheer-pastel-color that slips over the hair. So you slip the nylon on the leg and poof - you have a Tan leg. Same thing with blond hair, applying the toner is exactly like the nylon, only the toner covers all the strands of your hair with the opaque-sheer- pastel color.

Why do I say "anyone can do it"? What's the difference between this color and any other? The hardest part of this process? Access to getting them!



A toner is a very light color usually a Level 10, sometimes a Level 9 or even an Level 8. So its a very light color to make it a toner, the goal is only to deposit color so one uses a 6 Volume - 10 Volume - 15 Volume - 17 Volume - are the 4 levels of Peroxide I have in my Lab for this purpose.

{ Remember like a "nylon"} . So you have a low volume peroxide and a HIGH Level of Color which makes for "NO" lifting action. Therefore the chemical reaction is very mild, no color is being lifted out of the hair....so you don't need gloves (use them anyway) , the color does not stain your hands, or the furniture!, and there is NO line of demarcation, so you can kind of slap it on {although "I" never do}, being careful to make at least 1/2" parts to apply the product. Its just not that critical - I have put them on myself {a LEVEL 8RG-red-gold} without even looking at the back, just doing it by feel. Apply it every where then comb it through.... wham bam thank you mamn.


Its even easier than applying those color conditioners, it truly is because there is NO MESS from the color pigment. ++ the biggest advantage to me is you are not screwing your hair up for your next color. Just be sure to apply the last toner application 2 weeks before your next appointment or the next time you will color your hair.

What do you need to apply toners? I use the tint brush and tint bowl method, I'm a colorist, I doubt I will ever be able to break that habit. But truthfully - for a toner - those dumbass bottles I see at the beauty supply should work just fine > If you buy Color Touch, the ratio is 1:2 which makes up 6 whole ounces of product with one tube. One tube will do 1 head of super long <> super thick hair. Everyone else may get 2 applications out of the one tube. I have re-priced the Colour Touch, as it comes with the developer, tail comb and gloves for $18.00 - so its my homemade Kit <> THE RIGHT WAY.



Toners & Uses(samples)





  • Toning highlights to give warmth ( gets ride of 'gray' highlights)

  • Color Touch 9/36-Light Golden Violet Blonde (sugg.)

  • Tone down Brassy highlights - CT 10/01 Lightest Ash Blonde

  • Platinum toned Gwen Stefani style- combined Colour Touch 10/89 + CT 10/7 Cafe Latte

  • Tone blocks of platinum - silver - CT 8/81 Silver

  • Molly - I used 10/6 Lightest Violet Blonde - was out of 10/89 the strongest yellow-killer

  • Coral Rose - RenColor - for Fun And Fashion!






If you click on these charts these are the Color Touch Color Charts, the top 2 rows are the colors usually considered "toners".




I suggest studying these charts just spend some time looking at them, it will help the "level system" sink in. We will review them again and some additional ones, but for now try to become familiar with them.


Now to order any of the dozens of Professional toners I have - - - please join our Group . . . so you have access to our UNDERGROUND STORE .

First apply to the Group which gives you access to the Store :

http://groups.google.com/group/killerstrands?hl=en

We have lots of Goodies there . . . . for hair health and hair color. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment